CISA ebook ICBB test software Masks KN95 Mask

Trudeau announces $62.5 million for seafood, fish processors during coronavirus pandemic – THE SVG ONLINE

Trudeau announces $62.5 million for seafood, fish processors during coronavirus pandemic

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced $62.5 million to support seafood and fish processors who may be struggling during the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking from Rideau Cottage on Saturday, he told reporters the money will go towards helping fish and seafood companies modify their plants to meet COVID-19 health regulations, support social distancing measures as well as buy personal protective equipment for processors.

“As we fight COVID-19, people who work in fish and seafood processing plants across the country are playing a crucial role when it comes to getting food to our tables,” he said.

READ MORE: Live updates: Coronavirus in Canada

“This funding will help ensure that they can safely continue their important work.”

Trudeau said the money could also be used to purchase new equipment like freezers or storage space in order to keep food from going bad while they respond “to a changing market.”

Story continues below advertisement

Fish and seafood are among the country’s top food exports and the industry employs roughly 72,000 people.

COVID-19 has killed more than 2,350 people across Canada, more than half of whom were living in long-term care facilities.

5:46Coronavirus outbreak: Ottawa, provinces working together on plan to reopen country
Coronavirus outbreak: Ottawa, provinces working together on plan to reopen country

Trudeau spoke with provincial and territorial premiers late Friday after more deaths in long-term care homes were reported along with new figures detailing how the illness is affecting people and the economy.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

A statement from his office said the premiers acknowledged the importance of gradually reopening the economy based on advice from public health experts.

In the statement, first ministers agreed protecting the health and safety of all Canadians should remain the top priority when restarting the economy.

READ MORE: WHO says ‘no evidence’ that recovered COVID-19 patients cannot be re-infected

Trudeau said Saturday they discussed putting together a joint statement outlining what needs to be done in order to reopen the economy that would establish principles and guidelines for the country, based on the advice of Canada’s chief medical officers.

“We have to be mindful that the economy and the realities of each province and territory are unique, so the timing and specific measures will be different across jurisdictions,” he said.

“If we don’t get the next phase right, we risk losing all the progress we’ve made so far.”

Story continues below advertisement

More to come. 

— With files from The Canadian Press

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *